Amaurosis is a general term that refers to "partial or complete blindness".
This word is also used as a part of longer (multi-word) terms for ophthalmic conditions such as:
- Leber's congenital amaurosis
- amaurosis fugax, and
- quinine amaurosis
These conditions are usually described and explained separately because their details and causes differ despite the similarity in their names.
The adjective associated with the noun amaurosis is amaurotic.
More about Ophthalmology:
This section includes short definitions
of many diseases, disorders, and conditions of the eyes and visual system.
For definitions of other terms in this category, choose from the list to the left (but note that this is not a complete/exhaustive list).
Other related pages include
- A diagram of the eye
- Definitions and descriptions of the parts of the eye
- A concise description of the human retina
- Definitions of parts of the retina
- Clinical and surgical procedures re. eyes and human visual system
For further information see also our pages of books about ophthalmology.