Biology (incl. Human Biology)
Pages listed below include notes about human biology and general biology that relates to humans.
Introduction to General Biology
- Diagram of an Animal Cell
- Zoology Word List (50 words used in animal biology)
- Levels of Complexity of Animal Organisms
Biology of fungi
Introduction to to Biochemistry: Elements, Compounds, Molecules, Catalysts, etc.
(some also listed in the chemistry section)
- What is chemistry ?
- What is an element ?
- What is a compound ?
- What is a molecule ?
- What is a catalyst ? (Many biological catalysts are enzymes.)
See also the chemistry section.
- What is Organic Chemistry ?
- Macromolecules in the Human Body (biochemistry)
- Why is water important to life ?
Maths useful for calculations
Techniques used in Biology
- Types of microscopes
- Light Microscope
- Electron Microscope
- Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM)
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
- How does a transmission electron microscope work?
- Compare light microscopes with electron microscopes
- Compare TEM with SEM (electron microscopes)
- How to calculate sizes and magnifications
Histology (study of the fine detail of biological cells & tissues using microscopes, also listed in anatomy & physiology)
Introduction to Cell Biology:
- Cell Functions
- Functions of cellular organelles
- What is a Eukaryotic Cell ?
- Simple diagram of an Animal Cell
Structures and organelles present in eukaryotic cells:
- Diagram of a Plant Cell
Structures and organelles found only in plant cells:
- Diagram of a Prokaryotic Cell (Bacteria Cell)
- Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
- Plant, Animal and Bacterial Cells
- What limits cell size ?
- What is the cytoskeleton ?
- Cell Division
- What is Mitosis ?
- Timing of the Somatic Cell Cycle
- Diagrams illustrating Mitosis
- What is Meiosis ?
Transport Mechanisms and Transport Systems (incl. Gas Exchange and Circulatory Systems):
- What is Metabolism ?
- What is Metabolic Rate ?
- What is Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) ?
- How to increase your Metabolic Rate
- List of Metabolism Boosting Foods
- What is a Metabolic Pathway ?
- Characteristics of Metabolic Pathways
Examples of Metabolic Processes
- To be added.
Theory of Evolution
- What is evolution ?
- What is a fossil?
- Examples of common fossils - photos of fossils
- Human Evolution
(a brief introduction to human evolutionary biology)
- Hominid Evolutionary Tree
- Humans vs Primates
- Humans vs Gorillas
Many of these topics are also useful for students of animal biology in general. Information about plant biology is included where relevant to human biology e.g. re. differences between plant and animal cells, ecology and the environment (also inhabited by humans) and plants as sources of human and animal foods.
Human anatomy and physiology includes information about the structure and functions of tissue types, organs of the body e.g. lungs, stomach, kidneys, etc., and body systems e.g. respiratory system, digestive system, genito-urinary system, etc.. and is listed under human anatomy and physiology. Pages about diet and nutrition are listed separately.