Orthopaedics is the medical specialty concerned with correcting deformities caused by disease of or damage (including trauma) to the bones and joints of the skeletal system.
This often involves surgery, as well as various other techniques such as manipulations and traction.
See also syndesmology (concerning joints and their components).
- The adjective used to refer to orthopaedics is orthopaedic.
Links to other relevant areas on this website include:
- Study : Structure and Functions of Bones
- Study : Disorders of the Skeletal System
- Study page: Bones of the Head and Neck
- Glossary section: Arm and Hand Bones
- Glossary section: Leg and Foot Bones
- Glossary section: General Medical Terms.