Oncology is generally defined as the medical specialty concerned with the study and practice of treating tumours. However, some definitions of this are more precise - specifying the study and treatment of cancer.
Regardless of the exact definition used, oncology is an extremely important discipline in the field of cancer care, and is often sub-divided into classifications of:
- medical onocology
- surgical onocolgy, and
- radiation onocolgy.
The term is onocology comes from the from the Greek "onkos" which means "bulk or mass", together with the suffix -ology (meaning "study of").
- A medical specialist in the field of oncology is called an oncologist.
- The adjective used to refer to oncology is oncological.
Links to related areas of this website:
- Glossary section: Medical Specialties
- Glossary section: General Medical Terms
- News about cancer (types of cancers)
- See also books about Oncology