Myology is the medical specialty concerned with the study of the structure, function, and diseases and disorders of muscles.
The are many diseases and disorders of the muscular system, some of which are also diseases related to other systems of the body, such as the nervous system. These are of particular interest to many therapists such as massage therapists, sports massage therapists, and physiotherapists - all of whom work with the muscles of the body as well as their associated tissues and supporting structures.
- A medical specialist in the field of myology is called a myologist.
- The adjective used to refer to myology is myological.
Links to related areas of this website:
- Glossary section: Muscles (Arms & Hands)
- Glossary section: Muscles (Face & Neck)
- Glossary section: Muscles (Legs & Feet)
- Glossary section: Muscles (Torso)
- Glossary section: Medical Specialties
- Glossary section: General Medical Terms