Citrine is a form of quartz. It is usually distinguished from the other popular forms of quartz by its yellow / golden transparent (or at least semi-transparent) colour.
Quartz is the common name for the crystal form of silicon dioxide. The chemical formula for silicon dioxide is SiO2.
Citrine is popular with those interested in energy work, healing - especially crystal healing, working with chakras, and 'New Age' pursuits in general. It is available in several forms including as natural crystals, crystal clusters, polished crystals, and tumble stones.
Structures of citrine
Quartz generally, including, but not only citrine, is formed according to trigonal crystal symmetry. This system of crystal symmetry consists of one vertical axis of symmetry and three-horizonal axes of symmetry, all of the horizonal axes being of the same length.
Quartz crystals, including those of citrine, usually take the form of six-sided prisms whose faces may be striated at right-angles to the length of the crystals.
Distinguishing features of citrine
This is how to tell if a crystal is citrine.
All of the following apply to citrine:
- Distinguishing features of quartz (including crystal form, hardness = 7, conchoidal fracture)
- Yellow to golden colour when mined, but can fade over time exposed to bright light including daylight
Note that citrine is easily confused with aged amethyst. These are difficult to distinguish from each other by sight alone.
Associations of citrine
Citrine has many interesting metaphysical associations, including:
- Citrine does not hold or accumulate negative energies and therefore never needs to be cleaned / cleansed / cleared.
(This is a very special property that only applies to citrine and kyanite.)
- Citrine is sometimes used to attract and maintain material wealth e.g. keeping a piece in purses and cash-boxes.
- Citrine is associated with the 2nd and 3rd (naval and solar plexus) chakras, and with endurance.
- Positive influences on academic, educational and commercial pursuits and inter-personal issues.
- Awareness and openness.
Colours of citrine
Citrine is a transparent (or semi-transparent) yellow crystal. Shades of citrine vary across the range of shades of yellow, including pale through to golden brown / burnt amber.
Citrine Crystal Cluster
Above-right: natural citrine cluster, above-left: natural citrine twin-points, above-center: polished citrine