It is one of a group of steroid hormones that control female sexual development and processes.
The actions of the hormone progesterone in women include:
- Preparing the inner lining (endometrium) of the uterus for pregnancy;
- Maintaining the uterus after fertilization and then throughout the pregnancy;
- Preventing further release of eggs from the ovaries during pregnancy.
See also: What is a Hormone ?
For further general information including the locations of the endocrine glands, see the Endocrine Glands of the Human Body.
- Introduction to the Endocrine System
- What is a hormone ?
- Water Soluble Hormones vs Fat Soluble Hormones
- Triggers for Hormone Release
- Hormone Regulation Feedback Mechanism
- Major Glands of the Endocrine System
- The Pituitary Gland
- The Adrenal Glands
- Non-endocrine tissues that release hormones
- Conditions of the Endocrine System