(Recall that the suffix -itis usually indicates "inflammation" of the part of the body referred to by the earlier part of the word. In this case the prefix cholangio- refers to the cholangioles.)
Cholangiolitis may occur as a result of obstructions to the cholangioles.
See also the (similar) term cholangitis, whose meaning is slightly more general.
More about the Digestive System:
This section includes pages about:
- Introduction to the Digestive System
- Terminology about Digestion
- Passage through the alimentary tract
- Component Parts of the Digestive System, incl. Teeth, Stomach, Liver, Small Intestine, Large Intestine
- Chemical Processes in the Digestive System (introductory level)
- Diseases and Disorders of the Digestive System
For further information see also our pages of books about gastroenterology.
- The digestive system (introduction)
- Digestive System Terminology
- Main Stages of the Digestive Process
- Transit through the Alimentary Canal
- Absorption Sites
- Structures of the mouth
- Teeth - as part of the digestive system
- Small Intestine
- Large Intestine
- Digestive System Diseases & Disorders