The ethmoid bone is one of the cranial bones of the head.
The ethmoid bone is located:
Non-technically, the ethmoid bone is located in the centre of the face, behind the nose.
The functions of the ethmoid bone include:
- It forms part of the nasal cavity and the orbits.
- It is the main mechanical support structure of the nasal cavity.
See notes about, and labelled diagrams of, all human cranial and facial bones on one page.
More about Bones and the Skeletal System:
This website includes many pages about bones and the skeletal system. The following pages may be of interest. These also link to further pages about related topics such as specific types of fractures, bone diseases and so on.
- Structures and Functions of Bones (an overview about the Skeletal System)
- Types of Bones, such as long bones, short bones, flat bones, etc.
- Bone Markings and Features on Bones of the Human Body
- Types of Joints, such as immoveable, slightly moveable and freely moveable joints
- Diagram of the Human Skeleton
- Overview of types of Conditions and Disorders of the Skeletal System
For further information see also our pages of books about orthopaedics.