News incl. lifesciences, animals, wildlife & nature
from or mentioning Congo
News from the Congo region of Africa used to be listed here.
To avoid possible confusion between the two African countries whose name includes the word 'Congo', news from, about or mentioning those places is now listed seperately.
Select from the following:
- The Republic of Congo is also known as Congo-Brazzaville and simply Congo. In the past it has also been known as the People's Republic of the Congo (1970 - 1991) and as French Congo (1880 - 1960).
- The Democratic Republic of Congo is also known as Congo-Kinshasa, DR Congo and simply DRC. In the past it has also been known as Zaire (1965 - 1997), the Republic of the Congo (Leopoldville) (1960 - 1964), Belgian Congo (1908 - 1960) and as the Congo Free State (1885 - 1908).
The word Congo may also be used to refer to other places, including:
- the Congo (region), a geographical area in Africa inhabited by Congolese population
- the Congo River, which is also known as Zaire River
- the Congo Basin, which is the wide area of drainage for the Congo River that stretches across parts of west equatorial Africa
- Portuguese Congo, which is now part of Angola - specifically the Angolan exclave of Cabinda Province
- Congo, West Virginia, which is in the United States.