Hepar sulphuris calcareum
Hepar sulphuris calcareum is a homeopathic remedy that is also known as 'Hepar Sulph'. It is an important remedy developed by Hahnemann by heating together flowers of sulphur and the lime from oyster shells.
Examples of conditions for which this remedy is sometimes used include:
- abscesses and boils - especially if infected and slow to heal
- athlete's foot
- coldness, particularly around the head
- dry coughs, especially when accompanied by yellow mucus
- eye inflammation (ophthalmia)
- extreme irritability
- heavy sweating / perspiration
- mastitis and cracked nipples due to breastfeeding
More about the substance used to prepare hepar sulphuris calcareum homeopathic remedy:
The homeopathic remedy hepar sulphuris calcareum is prepared by peeling and then powdering the inside layer of oyster shells and mixing the resulting finely ground powder with 'flowers of sulfur', which are yellow flakes of the chemical element sulphur*. This mixture is then heated inside an airtight container and subjected to a series of chemical processes before the dilutions and succussions involved in the preparation of remedy can begin.
Homeopathic preparations are usually supplied in either liquid or pill form. Regardless of the physical form in which the remedy is taken, its preparation will have involved a series of dilutions during which the original substance was repeatedly diluted and succussed (shaken) in a solvent such as water and/or alcohol.
There are very many (over 2,000) homeopathic remedies, some of which are available from chemists and health food shops. These pages feature some of the most popular homeopathic remedies and are for general interest only: This is not medical advice. Consult a qualified homeopathic practitioner for advice about use of this and any other homeopathic remedy. Bear in mind that homeopathic remedies are very dilute; even if a homeopathic remedy is beneficial, the substance from which it is derived may be harmful.
More about Homeopathy:
- Introduction to Homeopathy
- List of pages about specific Homeopathic Remedies
- Bach Flower Remedies, including a list of the Bach Flower Remedies and the Latin names of the Bach Flower Remedies
For further information see also our pages of books about homeopathy.