Cadmium (in Cigs)
Cadmium is one of the many chemicals present in cigarettes.
Cadmium is a chemical element (symbol Cd) that is a soft, toxic transition metal that is bluish-white in colour.
The main use of cadmium is in the production of batteries (especially Ni-Cd batteries), approx. 75% of all cadmium is used for batteries. The other 25% of the world's supply of cadmium is used in pigments (e.g. in oil paints), coatings, platings, and as stabilizers for plastics.
See also the health & environmental effects of cadmium (opens in new tab).
Note that the list of chemicals included in this section (see the list on the left) is not a complete list of all the substances found in cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products.