The tibia is also known as the 'shin bone' and is the inner and larger bone of the lower-leg (the other bone of the lower-leg being the fibula). The tibia articulates with the femur (above), the ankle bones (below), and the fibula (at the ends).
The location of the tibia is shown in the diagram.
More about Foot and Leg Bones:
This website includes many pages about bones and the skeletal system. The following pages may be of interest. These also link to further pages about related topics such as specific types of fractures, bone diseases and so on.
- Structures and Functions of Bones (an overview about the Skeletal System)
- Types of Bones, such as long bones, short bones, flat bones, etc.
- Bone Markings and Features on Bones of the Human Body
- Types of Joints, such as immoveable, slightly moveable and freely moveable joints
- Diagram of the Human Skeleton
- Overview of types of Conditions and Disorders of the Skeletal System
For further information see also our pages of books about orthopaedics.