The actions of prolactin in women include:
- Stimulating the production of progesterone in the ovaries.
- Stimulating milk production after childbirth.
The effects of excessive prolactin in both men and women can include:
- Abnormal production of milk (called galactorrhoea).
See also: What is a Hormone ?
For further general information including the locations of the endocrine glands, see the Endocrine Glands of the Human Body.
- Introduction to the Endocrine System
- What is a hormone ?
- Water Soluble Hormones vs Fat Soluble Hormones
- Triggers for Hormone Release
- Hormone Regulation Feedback Mechanism
- Major Glands of the Endocrine System
- The Pituitary Gland
- The Adrenal Glands
- Non-endocrine tissues that release hormones
- Conditions of the Endocrine System